OxFizz is an award winning self-sustaining educational social enterprises that has been growing quickly since it was founded. We work in the UK and last year we donated over £160,000 to charities chosen by our volunteers and we also ran one of the largest access schemes in the country for students from non-traditional university backgrounds who are applying to Oxbridge. Now in our 9th year, we're looking for a new Chair to lead on our consolidation and future growth.
OxFizz empowers volunteers to utilise their skills and experiences to have a positive social impact in the world; we enable volunteers to support good causes of their choosing primarily financially but also through other means. We achieve this through our unique model which sees volunteers deliver high quality educational services to paying clients and the profits generated through the delivery of these services being donated to charities chosen by those same volunteers. In addition to delivering services to paying clients, we also provide the same service free of charge to those who would benefit from, but cannot afford to pay for, our services through our access work.
- We sell educational services to individual clients and partner schools.
- These services are delivered by our 250 graduate volunteers.
- Our profits go to charities selected by our volunteers (last year, our volunteers raised over £60 an hour, and collectively since 2012 they have donated over £510,000 to charity)
- Our profits also fund our partnership with The Access Project which supports disadvantaged students at King Solomon Academy, and other schools across London and the Midlands, to achieve better grades and progress to top universities
As a fully sustainable social enterprise, all of our revenue comes from our business services, and we do not receive any grant funding. This is an exciting time for someone new to come in and lead our growing organisation through complex strategic challenges as we consider writing our new business plan - which of our services we invest in, how we set ambitious and reachable growth targets, and how we improve, deliver and measure our social impact.
About the Role:
Now in our eighth year, with a full-time team of five, and over 250 volunteers we are looking to recruit a Chair to lead our ambitious strategy for further growth to our business and to maximise our social impact.
The role will require approximately 5 - 10 hours a month of hands on support:
- Charing monthly board meetings
- Supporting our CEO through weekly meetings in central London/at our Caledonian Road offices
We are interested in hearing from a broad range of applicants from any sector to lead OxFizz's sustainable growth, however an ideal candidate would have:
- Demonstrated success as a board member or board chair, including the setting and oversight of financial targets, supporting executive staff to develop and implement strategy
- Executive/non-executive experience in leading the growth of a small organisation (either profit or not-for-profit)
- Familiarity with the education sector in the UK
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to OxFizz's values and objectives
The successful candidate will be willing and able to commit time to leadership of the organization, bringing ideas and ambition for what OxFizz could and should achieve.
Core Responsibilities and Expectations:
1. Provides leadership for the organisation: Guides and directs the governance process, supporting the Board and CEO to shape the long-term direction of the organisation.
2. Ensures the smooth running of the Board: Establishes agendas for Board meetings, in collaboration with the CEO. Presides over monthly Board meetings to facilitate robust decision making.
3. Supporting the Executive Director: Serves as the Board's central point of communication with the CEO. Develops a positive, collaborative relationship with the CEO, including supporting the CEO in his/her role and professional development. Leads the processes of CEO appraisals, goal-setting, performance evaluation and compensation review.
Renumeration: Expenses will be payable.
Timescales: This post will be appointed on a two-year basis.
Applications: CV and covering letter to email@example.com. The application process will be done on a rolling basis and all viable candidates will be interviewed.
Please see our customer facing websites for more detail of the businesses we run:
- Oxbridge Interviews - http://oxbridgeinterviews.co.uk/
- Oxbridge International Summer School - http://www.oxbridgeinternationalsummerschool.co.uk/